Wednesday, February 25

Post Mardi Gras Post

New Orleans wakes up in a haze this morning, dazed from an entire weekend of beads, booze and revelry.

I had a fantastic weekend this Mardi Gras, musically speaking. Frogs Gone Fishin' closed (that's right, closed) for Russell Batiste and Friends, friends who included Jason Neville and George Porter Jr. You can check out an awesome video of the Frogs performance that night here.

I danced all night to the Radiators at MOM'S BALL, an exclusive all-night concert in a warehouse across the Mississippi River. Monday night we repeated the all-night strategy at Galactic where I was let backstage by my friend Trombone Shorty.

Backstage at Tipitina's is possibly the best location for musical networking in the world at any given time. After speaking with a sax player from Dave Matthews Band and keyboard player from The Greyboy All-Stars, I spoke with all the guys from Galactic and was invited to sit-in in a couple weeks with their side project.

Somewhat starstruck, we emerged from Tipitina's at 6 am to find that there were no more stars and a warm Mardi Gras day morning and the raucous Zulu parade had enveloped the city. I stumbled home, slept the day away yesterday and am ready to get back to business. The music business.

That's why today, I'm announcing a shift in the focus of my blog. Due to suggestions from people I value in the industry and the fact that my daily life is about as interesting as mud in the Mississippi, I'll try to focus on broader issues in the music business. You can always find out what's going on with Frogs Gone Fishin' at our website, and if I encounter an experience which warrants larger analysis, I will certainly write about it.

I'll be posting less, but hopefully more in depth. While in NOLA I want to buckle down and write some fulfilling music and stop worrying as much about tour and the absurd social implications of traveling constantly. Negotiating my relationships (social or business) is getting exhausting and I feel I need to take a step back, before taking the huge step forward that will be our return to Colorado and ultimately, the execution of Mountainside Mardi Gras in the summer.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually I think your daily life is much more interesting than mud!
Carolej

Trevor Jones said...

thanks Grandma!

Anonymous said...

Me Too!

Anonymous said...

Me three! Also, where is the application for Mountainside Mardi Gras Hanger-on?