Monday, November 30

Tech Troubles, Automated Attachements


So I open up my MacBook to write this post and lo', behold!, the mouse button is sticking and the computer itself will not charge. Realizing I had to pack up the nice work area I'd carved out for myself in the coffee shop brought about a sense of rage, deep inside, that I had yet to feel in my lifetime until this very moment. I soon realized this rage was not because I was required to relocate to the public library (where I am currently seated and not a bad place if you never go), but because my access to a technology that I have been taking for granted for the past 2 years was suddenly cut-off, cold turkey. It brought to light just how much we take tech for granted and are attached to our automated arenas in life.

Music and technology have become inextricably joined at the hip now for at least 20 years. I wonder how our newly found human attachment for screens and buttons (read: iPod) affect our listener-ship. The main question, which analysts have been pondering since Mp3's came around, concerns the next step in recorded music media. We all know the historical transition from phonograph to 8-track (the unfortunate butt of many jokes), tape to CD, and ultimately CD to Mp3's. No one doubts that the "album-as-a-whole-experience" was destroyed by the digitization of music on the internet. Singles are popular and most people are unwilling to buy a whole album for just one song (which you used to have to do at your local record store).

But as Frogs Gone Fishin' puts the finishing touches on the tracking stage of our forthcoming album, we are left to wonder exactly how (CD?, iTunes?, our website?, little green Frog-themed flash drives?) to release our music to the masses.

While we ponder our methods, check out a preview of the album here. I gotta go schedule an appointment with an Apple Genius. I'll ask him about the future of music distribution and get back to you...

No comments: