Friday, August 8

Funky Obama

Hello this morning from foggy Boulder, CO. The clouds are misting their way up the flatirons and the result is magical, mysterious and unusual for Colorado weather; CO normally sees more than 300 days of sunshine per year. The natural beauty of mountains in the mist makes me happy that I can spend more than just a week in Denver and the rest of my beautiful state.

Although it will be comfortable for us Frogs to relax in our natural habitat, by no means are we ceasing the flow of booking, performing and rehearsing over the next month before heading out on tour through the South . In addition, I am focusing energy on the final New Orleans talent For/Sure Productions will be contracting to play at Mountainside Mardi Gras (exactly one year from today!). As usual, I can't release specific names... but one of the headliners is a Doctor, the other rhymes with prophylactic... I bet you can figure it out...

I've written about how Colorado inspires me creatively before. Soon, a major influx of minds both creative, political and otherwise will storm the city for the Democratic National Convention. Despite overly expensive lodging and no parking to speak of 17 days before the convention even starts, Denverites are tickled with excitement every time the convention comes up in conversation.

And so it is now that I, Trevor Colin Jones, officially endorse Barack Obama for the next President of the United States (I'm sure he'll be relieved when he reads this..). Considering this blog is about music and occasionally zombies, I have no problem operating on a completely biased, subjective basis. If you don't agree with me, start your own blog! The following is my perspective on American politics for as long as I've been jaded enough to follow them.

Bill Clinton was an excellent leader who got a great BJ accomplished. That's right, the Balance Job Clinton did on the budget in the mid-90's makes me wonder if Bush has ever done a BJ in his life (he now holds the record for biggest budget deficit ever). When Bush took over, some really scary stuff happened in New York and the scary images from that day played over and over on TV until we were collectively scared enough as a country to elect a tyrannical leader. That was our mistake and it wasn't a novel one. Abusive leaders have been coming to power in times of uncertainty for ages. I recently read that Bush was rated #1 worst President ever as determined by Worst President in the History of America Magazine's Worst President Ever Poll.

But now we can move past all that, and with the help of Denver and the DNC we have the chance to become a more progessive, even funkier country. Do I think Obama is funky? Yes. But, do I think that is a reason to vote for him? Yes. If we had a national dance during the Bush administration it would look something like a mix between line dancing, square dancing and a drunken wobble.

Obama can make America funky again.

No comments: