Saturday, May 31

Been a long time...

Not really, but it's been a couple days. This gap in posting was due to our travel through Texas, a very big, mostly flat, mostly empty state. I'll figure out a way to post regularly on tour, 'cause I know you're worried.

Don't get me wrong, I like Texas. Both my parents are from Texas. To say I don't like Texas would be to say I don't like myself. I was conceived there, and while that's gross that I know that, I was BORN in Colorado. This puts a permanent skew on my view of the state.

We first stopped in the vast urban sprawl of Houston. Had a nice meal and realized you couldn't pay me to live there. Nice people, but I'd rather not have to fill up with gas just to go to the grocery store.

Similair story in Dallas. Upon talking to Andrew Portwood's (guitar, FGF) uncle (who fed and housed us, thanks dude!), you realize that Texans have a completly unique mindset about the world. While partially conservative, it represents a fiercly independent statehood. This independence has produced many, many fantastic musicians.

From Selena to SRV to Los Lonely Boys, Texas is a hotbed for musical creativity. The first time I played in a club was on 6th street and I'm excited to go back to a club called Maggie Mae's to play on the 28th of June.

On the last night of our trip back to CO, we slept without a tent on the sand in the Sand Dunes National Park. It was absolutely freezing, but reminded me that while a vast sprawling state full of highways like Texas is great for music, nothing inspires me like the natural world for making music.

No comments: